Sauteed spinach with shrimp and butter fried potatoes (Cameroon shout out!)
Just to give you a little bit of back story, the name Cameroon come from the portuguese word "camaroes". Indeed, when the Portuguese explorers were in my country around the 15th Century, they were amazed by the abundance of shrimp in the Wouri river and started to call it "rio de camaroes".
Cameroon is located in the center of Africa, which means that our level of natural ressources is just unbelievable.
Our land is just perfect for fishing and farming.
Which explains why we have a lot of seafood in the country (big variety of fish, shrimp, sardines......).
Now on to the good stuff.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 2 bags of spinach (1 bag is roughly 200g)
- 250g of shrimp
-1 big onion
- 4 medium size tomatoes (or 2 big tomatoes)
- some garlic
- medium size potatoes
- salt and pepper
- boil the spinach in some hot water until they become tender. Drain them and chop them a little bit. Set it aside for now.
-at the same time, cook the potatoes in some boiling water. When they are cooked, peel off the skin and chop them in square. Put it aside for now.
- chop and dice the onion, the tomates and garlic.
-preheat a frying pan, add a little bit of oil. When it's hot add the shrimp and let them cook until they turn into that nice orange color.
-remove the shrimp, add a little bit of oil, add the onion and garlic.
- when the onion turns into that slightly caramel color, add the diced tomatoes.
- after a few minutes, when the tomatoes do not taste sour anymore, add the spinach.
- after some time, add the shrimp and also a little bit of salt and pepper.
- let it cook for a few more minutes and voila!!
Now on to the potatoes
- preheat a frying pan, add some butter.
- when you start hearing that sizzling sound, add the potatoes that you cooked earlier (make sure you watch the pan so that the butter doesn't burn)
-when the potatoes turn into that nice gold brown color, remove them.
Usually I will have the spinach with boiled plantains or cassava.
I just wanted to switch things up a little.